Friday, September 19, 2008

Sugar Daddy (click to download)


Last weekend I was a participant and aid to a recording session with my brother Chris that took place at my home and I was reminded of the good fun old times of home music production. My brother has quite a collection of new tunes (see posts: “welcome another new face at the bla blog,” & “Beelzebub”)and I was really impressed with the inventive instrumentation of his new recording. I’ve also been listening to an amazing set of CDs that got me back in the mindset of a music maker. Hearing Brian Wilson’s command in the studio on the Pet Sounds Sessions or the genius improvisation of Albert Ayler on the Holy Ghost box set has made me revisit some of my own music. I generally dislike my songs, but do end up listening to the ones that I have a strange fondness for repeatedly. "Sugar Daddy" is one such song. This track comes from an EP recorded a couple of summers ago. It features Chris and me playing in a crazy country punk rock weirdo groove style. The lyrics are mostly nice non-sense almost meaningful phrases I wrote back in college. It took a long time to get a listenable recording down. Dig the viola played by Chris!

One more teaser before the start of a wonderful weekend…We austinnewblogger’s/Boho Coco’s will be hosting a reading at the end of October. We will be giving more details as the date approaches, but let this be stated now, it will be a good time. We’re planning something special and different from the previous readings. So I hope all of you can attend this event. Thanks and good day -J

Sugar Daddy

Lick the face of yr sugar daddy
Remember the Alamo
Drive around in a daze
For days upon days before you know just where ya goin'...how ya gonna get home?

Fall has fallen send me a kiss
Give me all yr hieroglyphs
I don’t read, I don’t give a damn
Divorce the lawyer and live with me in my golden cardboard alley mansion

Room for two
Room for three
Room for four
Room for five

Thanks to you I’m barely alive

Lick the face of yr sugar daddy
Remember the Alamo
Drive around in a daze
For days upon days before you know just where ya goin'...how ya gonna get home?

1 comment:

Chris S said...

This is really great, Jeff. It's awesome when you can dig into the past and find some gems you forgot about. Also, it sounds like you and Chris were having a lot of fun with this, and that is always exciting for a listener.